Recent Posts

Friday, August 10, 2012

Engagement Rings on a Superbudget!




My man and I are going on seven years together. Seven. Years. Why aren't we married, you ask?

It's a complicated answer, but the short version is: we've had horrifically bad luck. We've had jobs fall through, lived with our parents, had one of us snag a great job and left the other in the dust... and moving is SO expensive. So we haven't had time to save, and we're just now taking root in our Sacramento apartment.

Needless to say, there's barely any money for an engagement ring, and I'm already a picky fashionista. So when I woke up from my dream of a big, beautiful ring, I launched an assault on the internet to find some affordable alternatives.

Note: These are my picks and my personal style, not a cross-section of styles.

1. The "closest-to-my-dream-ring" pick - $812.00
This was the most high-end-looking ring I could find with all of my wants. I love rose gold (being pale it totally warms up my skin), my dad introduced me to Morganite, the gorgeous pink gem in the middle, and I've been in love with it ever since, and I've always wished a halo setting with stones wrapped around the ring. Perfect. The price doesn't hurt either :) 


2. The "dependable source" ring - $689.99

This ring is from Costco, who prides themselves on high-quality metals and stones. I can compromise on my classic round shape for a teardrop, because it still has a studded band and a halo setting. Aquamarine is my second favorite gem, after Morganite. The price is fabulous, it's still blingy enough to show off, and small enough to wear without looking like a cocktail ring. 


The stone is HUGE, and since this is Etsy, I might ask for a smaller, more intricately cut stone. When you're looking at colored stones vs diamonds you're in danger of getting something that looks like costume jewelry. My rule of thumb is nothing that looks bigger than a 1-carat diamond. (Unless you like giant jewelry!)


Rose gold, halo setting, morganite, and a diamond-studded band make this the complete package. Slightly flimsier looking than its look-alike above, which is why it's down the list. 


To be clear, I'm not a solitaire kind of girl. I know it's the quintessential diamond engagement ring for our generation, but its Sooooooo boring. At least for me. If you identify with Charlotte's style on Sex in the City, or maybe Catherine, the new royal, then I get it. But for the price??? I'd gladly don this for a few years until we saved up for something more personal. 


I already have a promise ring; I've been wearing it for almost 6 years. (Yes, the boyfriend knew he wanted to marry me three months in!) So using what I already have, and proposing with a wedding band would be our ultimate cheapest option. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Opinions and comments are welcome!